In this blog post, we will discuss how you can use content marketing to grow your business as a financial consultant. We'll go over what content marketing is, and why it's so important for financial consultants in particular. Then we'll cover some of the most popular types of content marketing that are useful for building an online presence. Finally, we'll wrap up by discussing specific strategies that you can implement today to start increasing your conversion rates!
Content marketing for Financial Services companies can help to build brand awareness, address the pain points of your target audience and differentiate your offering from competitors in the market.
Here are some tips to get you started with using content marketing.
How can content marketing help your financial services business?
Content marketing can help with:
- Building brand awareness and a strong online presence for potential clients to find you organically, instead of being forced into purchasing from the first ad that pops up when they search Google for "financial services."
- Addressing the pain points of your target audience and highlighting benefits that are unique to you.
- Differentiating yourself from competitors in a content-rich space by having more content than anyone else, or just content that is better quality overall.
And here's how it can work:
Let's say you're an independent financial consultant that specializes in estate planning. You can write content on your blog or website about the common mistakes people make in estate planning that costs them thousands or millions.
Content Marketing Tactics:
- Blogging - writing articles about topics relevant to your financial services company up to a few times per week.
- Interviews - the best content marketers are experts in their field, so you can interview other professionals that work within your industry and ask them questions about what they do.
- Videos or Slideshows - videos are more engaging than text but slideshows make it easy to skim content quickly on mobile devices.
- White Papers - content that helps your audience solve problems or answer questions.
Content Marketing Strategy:
- Start by identifying the goals you want to accomplish with content marketing (ideally, this should be a mix of short and long term).
What is your goal? Perhaps you are looking for more leads from content marketing than what Google Adwords is producing, or you want to increase your authority in your industry.
- Decide what content types will help achieve those goals - blog posts, videos, podcasts?
- Set a content schedule and then start creating!
Content Marketing Tips:
- Think of content as an investment that pays off over time. Unlike paying for ads, which is instant, content marketing takes time.
But, on the other hand, once you stop paying for ads you stop getting traffic.
- Start with content that is inexpensive to create and easy for you to make regularly (i.e., blog posts) rather than video content or podcasts, which require more resources up front. A good idea would be a weekly blog post on the topics important to your clients and prospects!
-Target Specific Keywords: you need to think about the keywords that are relevant for your content. Are you writing content specifically for a blog post, or do your thoughts make sense in an infographic?
-Be mindful of current events and how they relate to your target audience:
-Events like Christmas can be used as opportunities to create content on shopping tips and content for the holidays.
-Or content on how to approach tax time can be created during February/March each year!
-Relevant content will attract more people than content that is less relevant and generic.
-Make content about your industry interesting by injecting personal stories or testimonials, and provide value in everything you share with a strong call to action.
-Create content frequently, but don't overwhelm your audience with quantity over quality.
-Use social media channels like Facebook and Twitter to promote content that you've created or content from other people in your industry who have something interesting to share!
Repurpose Your Content
You’re spending so much time and money on quality content - why not repurpose it to stretch that ROI?
- Share content on your blog, website, or social media channels.
- Create a short ebook or guide to be sold or used as a lead magnet. You can offer it for free and then invite people who download the content into your sales funnel.
- Turn content posts into slideshows with quotes from other experts in your industry - make these content-only posts on Facebook and share them with your followers
- Create content in one format and make it available to more people by turning that content into an infographic, video, or podcast.
- Post content pieces on LinkedIn as status updates for your professional connections!
Create detailed personas for your target audiences
Creating detailed personas for your business builds the foundation of any good content marketing campaign.
Create content that provides value instead of pushing a hard sell.
Be consistent in publishing content and use social media for amplification. You can also create videos, infographics, or other visual content as this is more shareable on platforms like Facebook and Twitter.
What are business personas or customer avatars?
Ideal customer avatars or personas are detailed descriptions of your target audience. They include:
- Gender (male, female) or both if you want to market more broadly
- Age range (18–25 year olds, for example) or all ages if content is applicable to the entire population
- Geographic location and company size (local business, for example)
- Personal interests and hobbies (traveling, photography, interior design)
- Job title or industry (executive level titles from finance to HR roles)
- Pain points they want to eliminate
Create content that addresses your personas' needs and challenges.
- Blog content to educate and inform your audience, building trust (and hopefully some leads!) in the process.
- Infographics to break down statistics into easy-to-digest pieces of information that can be shared on social media. Use Canva or another free infographic tool to create these graphics quickly!
- Authored content creating content that answers specific questions or solves a problem - this can be in the form of an ebook, video series, or podcast.
Ideas for types of content
The content marketing strategy for financial consultants should include a mix of content types since different people will find content in different formats more appealing.
Personal finance content (investing, budgeting, planning)
Social media content (sharing content in your niche to increase engagement and followers)
Create a series of 'how-to' content. For example, if you're a financial planner, create tutorials for retirement planning or estate planning so that clients can come back to the content you've already created if they want more information.
Citing relevant, up-to-date statistics and quotes can make your content more authoritative and balanced, and it demonstrates knowledge of your niche.
Not only will this give your brand more authority, you’ll likely be mentioned on other blogs and in newspapers and magazines, which can help you get more backlinks and authority and help you rank on Google.
It will also help to attract more people that are interested in your content.
For example, if you’re a financial advisor, citing statistics about the economy or some of the challenges facing millennials can be helpful.
Debunk Common Myths
The financial sector is rarely without scrutiny, and there will always be falsehoods spread.
As an expert in the financial industry, consider writing a blog debunking common myths. You can also do this with content that may be considered controversial.
For example, content about whether Wall Street is the best way to invest or content debunking myths about annuities could both help your audience make better decisions and encourage them to trust you as an expert in the industry.
Do a review of comparable products and services.
It's important to be aware of what your competitors are doing.
This is a great source for content pieces in the financial sector because you can use this information to stay competitive in the field.
If you are going to review your competitors’ products or services, try to remain objective and give each offering a fair mark.
For example, content like "The Best Investments for Your Retirement" or content reviewing different types of annuities is helpful because you're giving your readers valuable information and they will be more likely to trust your content as a result.
Create Case Studies of Satisfied Clients
If you don't have content about what your clients are saying, or if the content doesn’t quite reflect how happy they are with your service, create content that involves testimonials from satisfied customers.
This content type can take many forms - a video series of success stories or interviews can be great for increasing trust and giving your content a more personal touch.
For example, content like "Your Retirement: How to Make the Most of It" or content about how millennials are investing for retirement would be helpful because it will help readers see that you know what you're talking about and can meet their needs.
Create Explainer Videos
If you want content with high sharability potential, consider creating videos answering your readers' top questions or solving their problems.
Explainer videos can be an engaging way to market your expertise in the financial sector
For example, if you're a financial planner, content like "What's the Best Way to Save for Retirement?" or content about what kinds of annuities exist would be great because it can help your audience in a way that they might not have known was possible.
Do Analysis of Industry news
Content marketing is a great way to stay up-to-date with your industry.
Publishing content about pertinent news stories or hot topics will help you maintain relevance and demonstrate that you are aware of what's happening
For example if there's an article trending on the internet about millennials investing their 401k money into Bitcoin, content like "The Pros and Cons of Investing in Bitcoin" or content about how cryptocurrencies are affecting the financial sector would be a great way to keep your readers informed.
Explore Thought-Provoking Topics
Content marketing is also an excellent opportunity for exploring topics that may not seem relevant at first glance - but actually, can help you stand out.
For example, content about the process behind annuity withdrawals or content detailing how to invest in Bitcoin might not seem too exciting on paper - but they are topics that people will find engaging and informative when presented as an infographic or video.
Content Ideas for Social Media
- a video series of interviews with satisfied clients about what they like most about your business and why they're happy to refer you.
- content that shows the process behind annuity withdrawals or how to invest in Bitcoin through infographics, videos, or detailed explanations.
Content marketing is a great way to attract new readers and customers.
The key to marketing success as a financial consultant is knowing your industry's current trends and having creative ideas about how you can create content that will be helpful, informative, or interesting - while also being very shareable on social media!
Start content marketing with these five steps:
- Create detailed personas for your target audiences
- Conduct content audits to find out what content your audiences are engaging with (check social media analytics, as well)
- Develop an editorial calendar and stick to it! Be consistent in publishing content and use social media for amplification
- Be sure to create content for your brand's blog and website
- Use content marketing as an opportunity to explore topics that may not seem relevant at first glance.
If you’re a financial consultant looking for new and exciting ways to reach potential clients, content marketing may be the solution.
We can help steer your strategy in an engaging direction with our expertise in creating blog posts, infographics, videos, and other multimedia offerings that will get your message out there.
Contact us today if you have any questions or would like more information about how we could assist you in developing a successful content marketing plan for your business!